URM Stipend for Visiting Medical Students
Vanderbilt University’s Office of Diversity Affairs and the Department of Emergency Medicine are pleased to offer a stipend to one under-represented minority student for a visiting rotation in Emergency Medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
The selected student will receive a $2000 stipend to cover travel expenses, lodging, and meals.
The selected student will participate in the Advanced Clinical Experience in Emergency Medicine. This is a 4 week rotation with the following objectives:
· Introduce initial management strategies for common life threatening emergencies, including a systematic approach to the priorities of resuscitation.
· Develop an approach to commonly encountered undifferentiated patient complaints, including abdominal pain, altered mental status, chest pain, and shortness of breath.
· Develop a practical skill set in: acid-base emergencies, advanced cardiac life support, basic airway management, basic life support, electrocardiogram interpretation, and electrolyte emergencies.
· Perform focused histories and physicals to develop ranked differential diagnoses for common complaints (abdominal pain, altered mental status, chest pain, and shortness of breath) that include high morbidity and mortality conditions and guide the use of diagnostic tests.
· Perform concise, clear patient presentations to faculty and consultant physicians.
· Employ knowledge support tools such as evidence based diagnostic criteria, management guidelines, and point of care information resources to inform patient care.
· Integrate into the Emergency Care Team and employ flexible communication strategies with patients, families, and all members of the Emergency Care Team (e.g. physicians, nurses, paramedics, technicians, and prehospital providers).
Students will participate in daily didactics, procedure labs, simulations, and a variety of clinical shifts.
To be eligible the student must:
· Self-identify as an under-represented minority
· Be committed to a career in emergency medicine
· Have completed core clinical clerkships (Medicine, Neurology, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry and Surgery)
How to Apply
Interested applicants need to:
· Complete an application in VSAS.
o Please be aware that all institutional requirements need to be met (immunizations, etc.)
· Complete the URM stipend application.
o Click on the link to submit the application: http://j.mp/2mn29YX
· Obtain one letter of recommendation from a faculty member who can attest to your interest in emergency medicine. Clerkship directors and faculty mentors are acceptable.
o Please provide the faculty member with the following link to submit their letter of recommendation:
Application Deadline: April 1, 2017 at 5PM CST
Award winner will be notified no later than April 15, 2017 at 5PM CST.